Port Clyde, Maine

  Have you ever vacationed in a fishing village before? Personally, I have always had a fondness for them. Though I have an insatiable curiosity when it comes to all things related to  travel and always want to find out more about the different ways of life around the world,  I am particularly attracted to the fisherman's lifestyle.  Perhaps I was a fisherman's wife in a previous life.  Or maybe I enjoy the calming effects of the daily routine more than I care to admit; I find comfort in hearing the boats leaving the harbour at the same time every morning, to return when the light is golden and just right.   I mean, how can you not instantly feel at ease in a town of a couple of hundred habitants, with a single cafe, a general store that closes before dark and front door locks that haven't been used in decades?

 To me, the fishing village has a purpose other than providing entertainment for summer tourists. You can feel that there is community that carries on well after you have packed your suitcase and headed home. I may be quite a few years away from retiring in a place like Port Clyde, but for a a short period of time every year, I have no problem settling into a creaky old house, sitting on the front porch and watching the boats go by like a ninety year old lady. In fact, I look forward to next year's escape already.