Pink Sand On The Way to Fes

Whenever I asked people about the time they spent in the desert in Morocco, they seemed relunctant to respond. After some hesitation, the answer always was : "it's an experience, you have to do it."  But the lack of enthusiasm in their response had me worried.  Is it worth it?

Now that I have spent a night in the desert myself, ridden the camel and eaten under the stars, I can't think of a better answer than the one that was given to me. There are reasons to skip the trip to Merzouga altogether;   Erg Chebbi desert is a twelve hour drive from Marrakech, with stretches of mountainous roads that are awfully bumpy and winding. That camel ride will hurt your bum more than you think and  those animals, while occasionally charming, do stink and attract flies. It is a very touristy adventure and your guide will most likely awkwardly try to sell you some handmade crafts after the tour.  It may also be one of the most uncomfortable nights of your life (chances are, you won't sleep a wink.)

That being said, the quietness of the desert is really something special, the sunrise in the morning is absolutely stunning and sinking your toes in the orange-pink sand is an amazing feeling --- this is no photoshop trick, friends, the sand is absolutely that pink.  It was simply unlike anything I have ever seen before...
After the stillness of the desert, we prepared for another big city and left for Fes. Tour books will often state that Fes is for the brave of hearts, even more disorienting and overwhelming than Marrakech. I absolutely adored it.  I wish I had planned more time in Fes; it has an amazing energy and it is where I would see myself living if I ever moved to Morocco.


One of my favourite things to do in Morocco was relax on rooftops with a cup of mint tea.  Every single place we stayed at had an amazing rooftop terrace overlooking the city. It made for a perfect spot to spy on the locals hanging their clothes and drying hot peppers in the sun. The sights, sounds and smells are so different in Morocco, you truly feel like you are on a different continent when you hear the call to prayer and smell the spicy meats being grilled by vendors on the street below. Where I live, we simply don't have that kind of outdoor setup and I took advantage of it everyday, nowhere more so than in Fes.